Heavy Concrete Weight Coating for offshore pipelines
MagnaDense aggregate in concrete weight coating (CWC) for pipelines increases negative buoyancy and gives mechanical protection against sea motions.
Using MagnaDense will create more weight with less volume. Properties of the high density concrete applied on pipelines include potential for reduced volume by up to 50% or 80% increase in weight, while keeping the equivalent strength to standard concrete.
MagnaDense for offshore pipeline weight coating
MagnaDense is an LKAB Minerals trademark for a highly dense high grade aggregate, manufactured from the natural iron oxide Magnetite. We mine and process it at our group’s resources in Northern Sweden. The product is harmless to the environment, non-toxic in all its forms and one of the few sustainable materials available. MagnaDense is mixed into a high density concrete, which is then applied to the pipelines and provide a heavy weight coating.
MagnaDense is available in different grades
The correct heavy concrete mix for concrete weight coating in offshore use
When preparing the heavy dense concrete for your pipelines you need to take into account that
- MagnaDense replaces sand and gravel but other concrete ingredients remain the same
- Standard concrete mixing equipment can be used
- the density of the concrete will vary depending on pipeline diameter and sea depth
- the average density for pipeline coating ranges between 3.2 and 3.4 t/m3
LKAB Minerals sales managers can help you to select the right combination of MagnaDense grade for your pipeline project. A brochure with concrete weight coating projects is available via LKAB Minerals Sales Managers upon request. You find their contact details by clicking the button in above expert box. First select your country and you will get in contact with the right sales manager.
Applying offshore pipeline concrete coating
Our customers, manufacturers of coated pipelines, use two different techniques to apply the heavy concrete as a coating to the pipelines.
- Spray applied heavy concrete coating; this technique requires the heavy concrete to be fluid enough to spray. Adding MagnaDense to the concrete will make it heavier, however the concrete is still fluid enough to be sprayed onto the pipelines.
- Compression concrete weight coating; using this applying method, the pipe gets a concrete weight coating by rolling the heavy concrete with a special technique against the pipeline.
Independent of the applying method you prefer, MagnaDense is suitable for both. The coarse aggregate increases the density of the concrete, making sure your concrete coated pipes remain at the bottom of the sea and give mechanical protection.
Global availability and offshore pipe coating projects
LKAB Minerals has provided MagnaDense to many concrete pipe coating projects all over the world. With global stock locations and owned mines in the Northern part of Sweden, LKAB Minerals can assure that they will always be able to supply a high quality heavy aggregate ensuring your production of concrete weight coated pipes at your preferred location, year round.
Nord Stream, New York Bay and Malampaya are just few of the large projects for which heavy weight concrete coated pipes with MagnaDense have been used. Upon request we have a pipe coating project brochure available which includes many more projects and details. Contact your local sales person via the expert box in the top right corner and ask for the project brochure, datasheets or about the MagnaDense possibilities for your upcoming pipeline project.