Heavy weight ballast; loose or mixed in concrete
MagnaDense is a high density aggregate, used as heavy weight ballast in many applications; either as a loose ballast aggregate or incorporated into concrete.
Whether your need is for weight to balance a bridge, to keep a gravity based structure in place, to make a counterweight for heavy vehicles or any other ballast project, you’ll need a high density material to get the right weight for your design.
Why MagnaDense is preferred as heavy weight ballast
Depending upon your application MagnaDense can be used as a loose ballast or mixed into heavy concrete. The number one reason for choosing our product is because of its weight, but there are many additional reasons to opt for the LKAB Minerals heavy aggregate. We have listed the important benefits of our natural high density material below:
- Weight; density of up to 5.1 t/m3
- Less volume; in comparison with other aggregates or standard concrete
- Inertness; does not react or corrode when in prolonged contact with seawater
- Recyclable; sustainable for both the environment and your assets
- Reduces risk of cracking; when mixed into concrete it aids in reducing cracking risk
- Quality; always the same specification for each grade
- Availability; year-round world-wide supply
When using MagnaDense as a heavy weight ballast material under water, you also benefit from the effect called the “Archimedes Principle” as shown in image below.
Which benefit is most important for you and your project? Tell us in a one-on-one conversation with a regional sales manager who can help you select the right grades. Contact details can be found in the expert box on the right top side of this page.
Projects with MagnaDense heavy-weight ballast
LKAB Minerals has supplied MagnaDense for many different ballasting projects all over the world. For some projects you can find more information on this website. Please click on the links below and take a look at the following detailed projects:
- Draugen; ballast recycled after 22 years in ocean
- Wave & Tidal; new method of energy production at the bottom of the sea
Other Case Studies about ballasting projects which are available upon request:
- Samuel Beckett bridge; cable-stayed bridge that swivels due to MagnaDense ballast
- Öresund and Great Belt bridges; prestige projects of bridges in Sweden and Denmark
Of course we have supplied our heavy aggregate for many other projects which we can tell you about in person.
Heavy weight ballast supplied world-wide
MagnaDense is manufactured from the natural mineral Magnetite and is mined from our own resources in Kiruna, Northern Sweden. It has a natural density of up to 5.1 t/m3. The product is harmless to the environment, non-toxic in all its forms and a sustainable material.
LKAB Minerals provides MagnaDense for many offshore projects all over the world. LKAB Minerals has several strategic stock locations world-wide for the products from our owned mines in the North of Sweden.
Contact us for datasheets, product definitions and case studies or for help to select the best MagnaDense mix for your project. You reach your local sales person via the expert box in the top right corner. We look forward making your next ballasting project a perfectly balanced one!