Welding rod minerals
LKAB Minerals manufacture products specifically for use in welding rods which fulfill the exacting standards the application requires.
Muscovite Mica has a long established history of use in covered rutile electrodes for mild steel. The main beenfits of incorporating Mica into the flux coatings for such electrodes are:
- The plate shape of mica influences the rheology of the flux mix during the extrusion coating process.
- Faster rates of drying and curing can be empployed with a reduced risk of cracking
- The elastic mica flakes toughen the flux coating and reduce damage during handling and transportation both before and after drying
- Cracking is also reduced when electrodes are bent during use
- The melting point of mica is beneficial for all types of steels
- Mica offers a useful source of potassium without altering silicate binder chemistry
MicaCal can be used in various steel alloy electrodes where normal muscovite mica is precluded because of chemically combined moisture. MicaCal can give major improvementsin manufacture, handling and usage of such elctrodes.
LKAB Minerals also supply Rutile Sand for welding rods; this mineral is an important component in this application and valued for the titanium content.
Welding rod minerals products
- Muscovite Mica
Mica is a group of lamellar silicate minerals distinguished by their high aspect ratio and visual glimmer. Muscovite Mica, the most common type worldwide, is a hydrated silicate of potassium and aluminium, and is predominately white in colour. More on Muscovite Mica
- Titanium minerals
Welding rod minerals industries