Wave and tidal technology are used to capture energy by ocean surface waves. The wave power machinery can be kept in place by an anchor, foundation or counterweight made with high density concrete or filled with a heavy loose aggregate such as MagnaDense.
The high density of MagnaDense will ensure that:
- the wave energy converter maintains the placed position
- the ballast has a long lifetime due to abrasion resistance in addition to the aggregates non-reactivity with seawater
- you can be flexible with your design
MagnaDense for offshore
Wave and tidal technology are not yet widely spread. There are a few projects worldwide which are experimenting the use of wave and tide to generate energy. However, the use of MagnaDense as a ballast or mixed into high density concrete is already used in a lot of other offshore applications such as:
- Coastal protection
- Gravity based foundations
- Offshore wind parks
- Concrete weight coating for pipelines
- Anti-buoyancy concrete mattresses
Take a look at below video to see how MagnaDense provides extra weight and requires less volume under water.