2013 was a successful year for LKAB with exciting developments in production, products, and markets, with a clear focus on sustainability.
LKAB Minerals highlights during the year included:
- Minelco became LKAB Minerals, and the LKAB corporation now gathers all subsidiaries under the same strong and global brand.
- LKAB Minerals supported the LKAB group core business and sustainability by developing new business opportunities for LKAB’s magnetite ore and by refining, recycling and selling industrial minerals on the world market.
- Distribution agreement with Tronox for the supply of Zircon to China.
- Acquisition of Richmond Refractories in the UK, strengthening LKAB Minerals position and knowledge within the recycled refractories market segment.
- LKAB Minerals new long-term strategy with focus on significant growth and sustainable operations was implemented.
- Quality Index of 99,38 percent.
- As part of our Safety First! Programme we decreased Lost Time Accidents with 25 percent, to 8.96 accidents per million hours worked.
- LKAB Minerals BV was certified for OHSAS 18001 as the first company in the group.
Highlights for the LKAB group included:
- Reopening of the Gruvberget open pit mine, part of the Svappavaara field project, Europe’s largest iron ore project.
- Opening of KUJ1365, the new main level in the Kiruna mine 1365 meter below ground, an investment of more than SEK 12 Billion.
- Direct reduction pellets open new markets. LKAB signed long-term agreement with Emirates Steel in the United Arab Emirates to deliver one million tonnes and pellets specially adapted for steelmaking via direct reduction, DR pellets. LKAB also signed a contract with American steel giant Nucor Steel signs for the annual delivery of 750,000 tonnes of, DR pellets, starting in summer 2013.
Read more in the Integrated report: Annual and Sustainability Report 2013