Replacing fine and coarse aggregates in concrete with LKAB Minerals natural aggregate MagnaDense allows you to produce heavy weight concrete with a high density of up to 4.0 t/m3.
Ground Granulated Blast Furnace Slag
Ground Granulated Blast Furnace Slag (GGBS) can replace over 70% of the Portland Cement content in a concrete mix.
GGBS Bulk and Packed Sales ManagerContact me
- Product uses
- Product information
- Mineral information
- Monthly certificates
Sustainable construction alternative for Portland Cement
GGBS is an environmentally friendly product and made from a by-product of iron manufacturing. It is a high quality, low CO2 material. Because GGBS has low embodied CO2, it allows designing concrete mixes for sustainable construction.
The manufacture of GGBS requires less than 20% of the energy and produces less than 10% of the CO2 emissions compared to Portland Cement production.
GGBS is a sustainable alternative for Portland Cement in the production of:
- ready-mix concrete
- pre-cast concrete
- cement-based formulations
- soil stabilisation
GGBS helps to form a next-generation cement that reduces damage to the environment.
Use and benefits of Ground Granulated Blast Furnace Slag
For building projects where durable and sustainable concrete is key, GGBS is the ideal solution. Using this product in your construction process will offer you:
- Durability; GGBS reduces the likelihood of concrete thermal cracking, and it improves concrete’s resistance to damage from alkali-silica reaction, sulphates and chlorides. Concrete in aggressive environments is much more durable with the use of GGBS as a partial replacement for the cement.
- Sustainability; produce low CO2 concrete, with low levels of embodied CO2. GGBS is also actively helping to reduce the amount of industry by-product material going to landfill. It helps to make a greener cement by reducing the embodied carbon.
- Aesthetic finish; a much lighter coloured concrete finish can be achieved compared to Portland Cement-based concrete. GGBS also helps to improve the reflectivity of finished materials (improving safety in dark environments) and contribute towards the reduction of crystalline deposits on concrete surfaces.
Cement replacement using GGBS
To build an environmentally friendly building, you can use our material as a partial cement replacement in a variety of projects, including:
- Concrete frames
- soil stabilisation work
- precast concrete construction
- large-scale volumes of mortar
Do you want to know if your project is a good fit for GGBS use? Please check with our Sales Managers for detailed information.
What is GGBS?
Ground Granulated Blast Furnace Slag (GGBS) is a cement substitute that improves durability and also the environmental credentials of concrete mixes. It is a by-product of the iron-making industry.
For every tonne of GGBS used in a concrete mix, the embodied CO2 levels are reduced by around 900 kg compared to the use of one tonne of traditional Portland Cement.
What is GGBFS?
The abbreviation GGBS or GGBFS are interchangeable and mean Ground Granulated Blast Furnace Slag.
Certified use for in concrete, mortar and grout
As a by-product of existing industrial processes, GGBS is even more sustainable than many other cement substitutes such as fly ash. Our products conform to BS EN 15167-1. This is the British standard for the use of Ground Granulated Blast furnace Slag in concrete, mortar and grout.
GGBS counts fully towards the cement content of concrete mixes. Check our monthly conformity certificates to see the detailed chemical composition of our GGBS [link].
Technical information and support on GGBS
LKAB Minerals is supporting:
- Concrete manufacturers
- Concrete formulators
- Ready-mix companies
- Pre-cast companies
- Admixture companies
- Civil and structural engineers
- Charter builders
- And other parties involved in the construction industry
You can calculate the right amount of GGBS in concrete mixtures by easily contacting our sales team by phone or email.
Packaging and logistics
LKAB Minerals supplies its bulk GGBS in the United Kingdom only but can supply bagged GGBS further afield. We are proud to state that we have the most up-to-date, state of the art GGBS production site in the UK.
For your convenience, we have GGBS available in:
- 25 kg bags
- big bags
LKAB Minerals is part of the LKAB group that sells its iron ore (pellets) to the steel-making industry. Our company recovers, reclaims and recycles the GGBS by-products from this same steel industry at the same time reducing landfill. Because GGBS requires no mineral extraction, it is therefore not damaging the environment and helps to reduce climate change.
A non-toxic, non-hazardous stable mineral. You can download the Safety Data Sheet from the documentation tab.