LKAB Minerals produce MicaFort from natural minerals Muscovite Mica and Phlogopite Mica
Phlogopite and Muscovite Mica are versatile industrial minerals frequently used in a variety of applications in the automotive industry. Due to its unique properties of increasing strength, flexibility, and heat resistance. It can also be used as insulation to reduce the vehicle’s overall weight, and many manufacturers have taken advantage of its acoustic-dampening properties.
In summary Phlogopite and Muscovite Mica as MicaFort can provide:
- increase flexibility
- improve scratch resistance
- perform at high temperatures
- acoustic dampening properties
- improve dimensional stability
MicaFort for partial or complete glass-fibre replacement
MicaFort is very effective as a replacement for glass-fibres in Polyamide (PA) compounds providing improved properties such as:
- Effective warpage reduction
- Improved surface finish
- Optimal balance of isotropic mechanical and dimensional properties
- Excellent reinforcement alone or in combination with glass fibres
A naturally superior performance
In mineral-filled thermoplastic polypropylene (PP) compounds, by including MicaFort, can achieve the following:
- Superior modulus of elasticity
- Isotropic reduction of coefficient of linear thermal expansion (CLTE)
- Increase in heat deflection temperature
- Reduce compound density versus other mineral fillers
To maintain LKAB Minerals, MicaFort’s very high aspect ratio, an important attribute to improve compound properties, used in twin-screw compounders. When feeding MicaFort into the compounders it is recommendeded to be done into the melt-through side feeders.
For more technical information on MicaFort in thermoplastic compounds and how to achieve superior polymer reinforcement with this natural mineral filler, contact our technical experts.
LKAB Minerals are proud to offer more information and technical support for many of the minerals we supply. Please get in touch today by using the contact form.