We designed Gypsol Modular, a screeding solution, especially for use in modular construction either on or off-site particularly when you desire a lightweight construction.
National Commercial Manager Gypsol - UK & IrelandContact me
- Product uses
- Product information
Particular uses for Gypsol Modular screed
When we designed this screed, we paid extra attention for its use in modular construction where you require a concrete feel and structure, but where transport and site requirements dictate a lighter weight structure. We see our customers use this product in particular for constructions where structural security is an essential design requirement. Some examples are:
- prison buildings
- hospital operating theatres
Gypsol Modular application uses
You can use our Gypsol Modular over lightweight steel frame as well as over timber. Also, our screed offers high early flexural strength, which allows:
- the rapid movement of in factory units,
- and early trafficking of on-site screeds.
The screed is suitable for the encapsulation of an underfloor heating system, either electric or warm water. You can use the material to produce a smooth, flat and level floor to form the subbase for subsequent floor coverings for internal floors.
We work with specially trained screeders who pump the screed into place by using specialised equipment. As a result, our Gypsol Modular screed solution provides a cost-effective and environmentally friendly alternative to cement-based screeds and timber floors.
You can also use this with the unique Gypsol Rapide fast-drying additive to produce drying times of just 14 days at 50mm deep in the correct drying conditions.
Additional Gypsol screeds
Besides the Gypsol Modular screed, we also offer alternative solutions. Each screed performs best under specific circumstances. Additional information is available on each product page.
- Rapide; A self-compacting, self-smoothing, fast-drying floor screed
- Classic; Our general-purpose screeding system. The most commonly used material in our range.
- HTC; Gypsol HTC (High Thermal Conductivity) for use with underfloor heating and cooling systems.
- TS-15; An ultra-thin screed for bonded and un-bonded applications at a minimum depth of 15mm.
- TS-20; A thin screed suitable for bonded and un-bonded applications down to a 20mm minimum depth.
- XS; Extra strength material for use in heavy-duty applications, where loading is likely to be higher than normal.
- TimBRE; Specially formulated and tested for use in timber frame and over timber supported floors including acoustic conditions.
- Sureflo; Pre-blended product supplied in 25kg bags for mixing on site. Ideal where minimal quantities are required, or access for ready-mix lorries is not possible.
- Summit; Particularly fit for screeds pumped over very long distances or high buildings of 10 stories and above.
- Rustique; a unique fast track floor, providing a rustic or architectural finish.
- Diamond; a unique and innovative “micro concrete” providing a polished floor.
Gypsol Modular product details
LKAB Minerals manufactures Gypsol Modular to exacting standards. We do this in quality assured ready mix facilities throughout the UK. Besides, we have this product also available in specific locations from volumetric on-site mixing systems.
Our screed offers the user a simple and effective floor screeding solution for modular building. Mainly because we make our product from high-quality Gypsol anhydrite binder, specially selected sands and clean water. As a result, you can screed off-site or at the final location and use a subsequent floor covering. For your convenience, you can use Gypsol Modular with or without underfloor heating, and it is suitable for use in acoustic designs.
Gypsol Modular benefits
Using Gypsol Modular will benefit your screed floor because of:
- Rapid application
- Assured high strength
- Minimum Ca-C30 – F6
- Off-site modular units can be moved after typically three days
- Low shrinkage
- Reduced risk of plastic cracking
- Suitable for use in modular construction
- Thin Screed sections
- Typically 35mm on Lewis Dovetail Sheet
- 25mm cover to underfloor heating pipes
- Fast drying
- 28 days natural drying*
- 13 days forced drying*
- Can be used with Rapide Additive to offer 14 days drying
*Independently tested and based on 50mm depth at 20˚C and 60% RH. We have the full test data available on request.
- Rapid commissioning of underfloor heating
- Underfloor heating can be commissioned and run after just seven days
- No reinforcement nor fibres required
- No curing agents required
- Low Carbon Footprint
- Just 26.26kg per tonne of material manufactured saving up to 94% CO2 compared to a cement-based screed.
- Fully self-compacting and high density
- Offers 80kg/m2 density at just 40mm
- Rapid return to service of work areas
- Foot traffic after only 48 hours
- Full loading after just seven days
Packaging Gypsol Modular
LKAB Minerals Gypsol Modular screed is available from all ready mix and volumetric screed producers who stock Gypsol Binder. A full list of producers is available from the ‘WHERE TO BUY’ tab on the general Gyspol page.
Gypsol Modular - Frequently Asked Questions
What is the minimal Gypsol Modular screed thickness my floor needs?+
Technically Gypsol Modular screed can be used either with or without insulation to the following minimum depths
- 40mm Floating Commercial
- 35mm Floating Domestic
- 30mm Unbonded
- 25mm Bonded
- 25mm cover to underfloor heating pipes
However, these depths may require adjustment based on the type of sub-base you use. For more information for your specific project, call our technical and specifications team.
How soon can I lay my floor coverings on top of the Gypsol Modular screed?+
Gypsol Modular screed dries naturally in around 28 days in right drying conditions based on 50mm depth. If you have underfloor heating, you can commission and run this to force dry the screed in which case it will be dry in just 13 days. Gypsol Modular screed dries by evaporation of residual moisture into the air above it. It is therefore important to ensure that you carry out drying in well-ventilated conditions to remove the moisture as it evaporates. Besides, it is essential to ensure that you carry out an appropriate moisture test to confirm the screed is suitably dried before applying floor coverings. As modular off-site construction tends to be a fast track construction solution, it can be challenging to commission underfloor heating if indeed it is even present. You can use our Gypsol Rapide fast-drying additive which allows your Gypsol Modular screed to dry at 50mm depth in just 14 days.
Is Gypsol Modular suitable for use for projects where you screed on-site rather than in a factory?+
Yes. Of course, Gypsol Modular offers specific advantages to other screeding solutions, which makes it perfect for use in Off-Site construction. However, you can still use this when you need to screed some or all of the project on-site. If you place the screed on-site, there may be other products within the Gypsol range which are equally suitable.