Consistent quality control is maintained by three laboratories throughout the country, carrying out regular quality testing. We have our own X-Ray Fluorescence (XRF) machine to determine the calcium carbonate content of asphalt fillers.
Applications for limestone filler
You can use our limestone filler in asphalt mixtures for:
- road surfaces (A and B roads, motorways)
- construction of airfields and runways (commercial and armed forces airports)
- mastic asphalts in a variety of applications
Another use of Limestone filler, not connected to the construction industry, is its use as a calcium-based agricultural fertiliser.
Limestone mineral filler quality assurance
Our limestone filler has the following:
- minimum Calcium Carbonate (CaCO3) content of 70%
- maximum moisture content of 1%
- bulk density in kerosene between 0.5 and 0.9 Mg/m3
We can store up to 20,000 tonnes of filler across 60 strategically placed silos, allowing us to distribute throughout the whole UK on a just-in-time basis. We can also bag asphalt filler for export outside the UK.
LKAB Minerals also has storage silos located on customer sites to collect excess material from the asphalt manufacturing process, which can then be recycled.
Limestone mineral filler source
Our limestone filler is made from either:
- excess filler from asphalt plants
- virgin limestone
- a careful balance of the above two sources
The product is harmless to the environment and non-toxic.