Whether your need is for heavy weight to balance a bridge, to keep a gravity-based structure in place, to make a counterweight for heavy vehicles or any other ballast project, you’ll need a high density material to get the right weight for your design.
Why MagnaDense is preferred as heavy weight ballast
Depending upon your application MagnaDense can be used as a loose ballast or mixed into heavy concrete. The number one reason for choosing our product is because of its weight, but there are many additional reasons to opt for the LKAB Minerals heavy aggregate. We have listed the important benefits of our natural high density material below:
- Weight; density of up to 5.1 t/m3
- Less volume; in comparison with other aggregates or standard concrete
- Inertness; does not react or corrode when in prolonged contact with seawater
- Recyclable; sustainable for both the environment and your assets
- Reduces risk of cracking; when mixed into concrete it aids in reducing cracking risk
- Quality; always the same specification for each grade
- Availability; year-round worldwide supply
- Archimedes principle benefit; relative more weight when used under water (see picture to the right)
Projects with MagnaDense heavyweight ballast
LKAB Minerals has supplied MagnaDense for many different ballasting projects all over the world. For some projects, you can find more information on this website. Please click on the links below and take a look at the following detailed projects:
- Draugen; ballast recycled after 22 years in ocean
- Wave & Tidal; new method of energy production at the bottom of the sea
Case Studies on ballasting projects which are available
For some of the ballasting projects we have been involved in, we have created detailed documents which are available upon request:
- Samuel Beckett bridge; cable-stayed bridge that swivels due to MagnaDense ballast
- Öresund and Great Belt bridges; prestige projects of bridges in Sweden and Denmark
Of course, we have supplied our heavy aggregate for many other projects which we can tell you about in person.
Heavy weight ballast supplied worldwide
MagnaDense is manufactured from the natural mineral Magnetite and is mined from our own resources in Kiruna, Northern Sweden. It has a natural density of up to 5.1 t/m3. The product is harmless to the environment and non-toxic in all its forms.