A focus on sustainability at LKAB Minerals first UK seminar
Strong construction themes
Hosted by LKAB Minerals with Denise Roberts (Commercial Director UK & Ireland, Magnetite & Foundries) as the Keynote speaker, the seminar covered LKAB’s range of construction materials on offer to the sector, as well as several guest speakers from the industry focussing on sustainable alternatives.
- Sustainability and LKAB; presented by Mark Moriarty, Sales Manager Magnetite for the UK & Ireland, focussing on the projects ongoing within LKAB including SUM and Hybrit.
- Alternative cements and engineered cementitious composite; presented by guest speaker Raman Mangahbhai, Past Chairman of the Institute of Concrete Technology.
- Gypsol Anhydrite Screed; a simple and sustainable flooring solution, presented by Alan Jackson, Technical Specifications Manager.
- The use of GGBS in sustainable concrete, presented by Steve Handscomb, Commercial Director GGBS and Gypsol.
- Creating sustainable Concrete with Admixtures, presented by George McArthur of Balfour Beatty in place of Ian Ellis, Technical Services Manager.
- Concrete; friend or foe?, presented by Steve Handscomb in place of Richard Day, Head of Technical Services for the Concrete Society.
- MagnaDense concrete as a sustainable Civil Engineering Solution, presented by Richard Hunt, Sales Manager Magnetite for the UK & Ireland.
- High Density Concrete Design Case Studies; LINAC Bunkers and UK based shaft project, presented by Jim Fleming, Technical Director for Fairhurst and focussing on ongoing projects with the use of MagnaDense.
- Specifying, designing, producing and supplying heavyweight concrete from the perspective of a ready-mix concrete producer, presented by Jack Sindhu, Technical Manager for Capital Concrete.
Sustainability; a hot topic
With new and more complex challenges in the design and construction of infrastructure as well as a continual need to find environmentally friendly alternatives to traditional building materials, the industry is seeing an increasing emphasis on sustainability. Our first seminar was designed to introduce engineers, architects and concrete producers to some of the alternative materials on offer to the industry and provide an overview of the growing importance in sustainable infrastructure.
Steve Handscomb commented ‘Sustainability goes further than the environmental impact of a building. It encompasses much more including durability of structures meaning that they do not have to be replaced as often, developing alternative construction techniques, reducing the need for extraction of valuable mineral resources and reducing the carbon foot print of building materials.’
Feedback has been extremely positive with Jack Sindhu, Technical Manager for Capital Concrete and one of our guest speakers commenting, ‘‘A good day spent listening, participating and speaking at this inaugural event.” Additional comments included ‘An excellent day’ and ‘Thanks to LKAB for hosting this event; a very informative day’.
Future LKAB Minerals events
The seminar has proved to be a great success, with future interest from the majority of registrants and great initial feedback. Because of this success, we are already planning another seminar in 2020, this time in Northern England and have some potential customers already lined up as speakers and partners.
“There are some learnings from our first event. However, we are pleased with how well our existing customers and new contacts received it”, says Denise Roberts, Commercial Director for Magnetite & Foundries. “We are proud to be a sustainable supplier to the construction industry. And we are striving towards becoming a leader in driving forward the focus of sustainability. We are looking forward to the next one!”.
Presentations & Future events
If you like to attend one of our future events, please register your interest here.
Alternatively to request a copy of the presentations from the seminar, please contact Adele Redhead on firstname.lastname@example.org.
LKAB Minerals would like to thank the speakers and delegates for their support of our first event, and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.